HOW TO ADOPT
Northern Lights Greyhound Adoption
11247 Foley Boulevard, Coon Rapids, Minnesota 55448
- Begin your own research to see if a greyhound is right for you. Read Adopting the Racing Greyhound by Cynthia Branigan or Retired Racing Greyhounds for Dummies by Lee Livingood. Remember, it is the policy of Northern Lights Greyhound Adoption not to adopt to families with children under the age of six.
- Meet a greyhound! Northern Lights Greyhound Adoption sponsors regularly scheduled events where you will have an opportunity to spend some time with these beautiful dogs. Call us and we will be happy to let you know where our next scheduled event will take place.
- After your research, if you feel a greyhound is right for you, please click here for our adoption application. After you have filled it out, send it back to us.
- One of our adoption coordinators will call you to review your application. During this interview we will help you determine if a greyhound is right for your lifestyle and answer any questions you may have. Your application will then be assigned to one of our adoption coordinators. When the review of your application is complete and everything is approved, we will set up an appointment for you to meet available dogs. We try to match the dogs you meet to your family profile.
- Before you come to your adoption appointment, please make sure you have everything in place for your new dog. Basic necessities are a crate (NLGA recommends plastic crates over the wire variety), food dish and water dish, and a dog bed. Contrary to what you may have read or heard elsewhere, please DO NOT use raised feeders and water bowls. NLGA will send you home with a small bag of the kibble that your greyhound has been eating.
- Please be patient during this phase of the adoption. We know how anxious and excited you are. We are excited for you too! We take all of the applications in the order that we receive them and everyone at Northern Lights Greyhound Adoption is a volunteer.
- If you have any questions at any time during the adoption process, please do not hesitate to reach out to us.
- Come to the adoption appointment. This meeting usually takes about two hours and should be attended by everyone who will be living with the greyhound. If you have another dog, please bring him/her with you, too. You will meet a variety of greyhounds that we feel would suit your family and lifestyle. If you decide to adopt one of our hounds, the adoption fee of $428.50 (effective February 1, 2020) will be payable at this time. Note: We can only accept cash or a check for adoption fees.
Ask questions! We are committed to helping you and your greyhound make a smooth transition. Please call us if you have any questions or concerns about your new pet. Our adoption representative will call you within a few days to see how you and your greyhound are doing. We maintain an ongoing system of support for all our greyhound adopters, staffed by knowledgeable greyhound owners and veterinarians.
Come join us! Northern Lights Greyhound Adoption is always looking for volunteers to help spread the word about greyhounds as pets and to help place greyhounds in adoptive homes. Staffing special events, acting as a foster family for a greyhound fresh from the track, fundraising…we need you!
Download the Northern Lights information packet: Is a Greyhound Right For You?