Why Choose NLGA?
First and foremost, we all agree that it’s all about the dogs. All available dogs deserve to have a great forever home. If you have reached that proverbial “fork in the road” where you know that a greyhound is right for you but you are not sure which group to adopt from, the following list of what Northern Lights Greyhound Adoption provides for its hounds may help you decide.
Northern Lights Greyhound Adoption (NLGA):
- Assists with pre-exisiting medical and surgical situations, the level of which is decided on a case by case basis.
- Performs a complete medical work-up before any surgical procedures are performed. This includes:
- A full comprehensive physical exam performed by a veterinarian who is well versed in the subtle nuances of this unique breed of dog.
- A complete blood count (CBC) to make certain there is no existing infection or other abnormalities that could impact the dog’s long-term health.
- A complete blood profile to make certain, again, that there are no underlying issues that could adversely affect the outcome of a surgical procedure or long-term health.
- Heartworm 4DX Plus test to rule out preexisting heartworm disease, Lyme disease, Ehrlichia (a tickborne infection), or anaplasmosis (another tickborne disease).
- A Babesia test is performed, if indicated on the CBC.
- A fecal evaluation checking for active intestinal parasites. This is critical to the general health of all dogs. Some of these parasites are transmissible to humans, which gives all the more reason to establish their existence and treat accordingly.
- Monthly worming and heartworm prevention while in our care.
- All core vaccinations, including distemper, hepatitis, parainfluenza, parvo, and rabies.
- Monthly flea and tick prevention while in our care.
- A bath and nail trim.
- Daily tooth brushing following the dog’s dental prophylaxis.
- Completed the following once the greyhound’s test results have been evaluated and all risks are considered manageable, the following procedures are performed:
- Ovariohysterectomy (spay) or neuter under gas anesthesia with IV fluids and state-of-the-art monitors to insure a safe procedure
- Full dental prophylaxis, including tooth extractions when indicated, as well as digital dental radiographs where indicated
- Removal of any existing growths that suggest potential problems, along with pathology evaluation
- Digital x-rays of any perceived orthopedic problems. These can be sent to your hometown veterinarian.
- In addition to the above, the following are included with each adoption:
- A Home Again microchip, which is then registered to the new adopter.
- A recommended martingale-style collar and leash (you choose the color!)
- A greyhound-approved basket muzzle for the home introductory phase
- A lifetime of support. You are encouraged to contact us with any issues or problems that develop at any point in time. We will provide you with a wealth of facts and personal information that will both help solve the problem and give you peace of mind. Your successful adoption is our lifetime focus.
All the above is performed by a staff that has been doing so for thousands of greyhounds since 1976. All of the precautions that are taken are done to assure a safe and predictable outcome each and every time. The procedures outlined above represent NLGA’s commitment to provide the adoption community with the healthiest and happiest greyhound possible.